Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nerd-gasm Alert! Wil Wheaton Guest Stars on “Big Bang Theory”


On tonight’s episode of “The Big Bang Theory,” entitled “The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary,” nerdy physicist Sheldon (Jim Parsons) challenges actor/social media guru Wil Wheaton (playing a “delightfully evil version” of himself) to a game of “Mystic Warlords of Ka’a,” a fictional, Magic: The Gathering-like card showdown. According to Sheldon, Wheaton — who co-starred as Wesley Crusher on “Star Trek: The Next Generation” —  was sixth on his “eternal hatred list” because he failed to show up at the ‘95 Dixie Trek convention and sign the burgeoning nerd’s ST:TNG action figure. (Also on the list? Director Joel Schumacher, for almost ruining the Batman franchise.)
Given Wheaton’s rise from hated sci-fi character to genuine geek icon, the actor/author immediately took to his blog following the show’s east coast airing to talk about what it was like behind the scenes. Among other things, he notes that the show’s art department devised actual “Mystic Warlords of Ka’a” cards with graphics and rules, and how it was a challenge to figure out how to play a stylized version of himself. He writes:
During one of the run throughs, when Jim did his Klingon bit, I turned to Kevin [Sussman, who plays Wheaton's 'Mystic Warlords' partner] and asked him, “Did he just say ‘revenge is a dish best served cold’ in Klingon?” like I was trying to figure out if that’s actually what happened, like maybe I misunderstood him. [Show creator] Chuck Lorre told me that it would be funnier if I was more exasperated. “You’re just here to play this game, and now some guy is quoting Klingon at you. This happens everywhere you go,” he said.
I sighed dramatically, and said, “Oh, it does.” Everyone laughed, hard, and Chuck pointed his finger at me. “Yes. That is exactly the way to play that beat.”
When Chuck gave me that note, I grokked how to play Evil Wil Wheaton (The Big Bang Theory version), and I could see the comedy in every beat I played for the rest of the show. I totally grew a level in comedy acting, and learned something about letting go of who Ireally am, so I could embrace the Delightfully Evil version of myself (who I seriously hope will return in the future, because OMG was it fun to play him.)
Source blogs.wsj.com

No comments:

Post a Comment