Friday, October 2, 2009

InkStop Halts Business at Stores Nationwide




SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WJBK) - Another business closes its doors, leaving employees with no money and many questions.

Locked up tight, employees of the InkStop stores found out late Thursday night no paycheck, no health insurance. They don't even know if they still have a job.

"I love my job. I though it was great," said Sonya Redford. "I did it well. I got paid well. I just didn't like being lied to. I didn't like being told everything's okay when it wasn't, and I didn't like less than 24 hours notice that I didn't have a job."

Apparently things were far from okay. Redford is a mother to a six-month-old and and an employee at InkStop. She found out late Thursday night all the stores were closing -- 152 nationwide.

"He called me at 11 p.m. and said, 'Don't go into work tomorrow because we're closed and we're not getting paid for the last three weeks,'" Redford said.

She got the call from her boss, Marc Albin. "We don't get paid. We don't get anything. We're just out, left in the cold," he said.

Albin showed us an e-mail from the company saying InkStop was closing temporarily and more will be known next week. Plus, employees were told they've had no health benefits since the end of August.

"I have medical issues. I've had headaches for four months, and I just had all these tests done," said Lynn Kuna. "Now, I don't know whose going to pay for it."

For Kuna and other InkStop employees, the abrupt and insensitive nature of the closings is a real slap in the face.

"You live paycheck to paycheck and, all of a sudden, a day before you're supposed to get it, you find out you're not getting it," said Allen Pahel.

"I can't believe they're doing it," said Corey Travis. "They know it's wrong and they're doing it anyway."

Calls to InkStop's corporate office in Ohio were not returned. Source myfoxdetroit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment